Wednesday, May 27, 2009

"Am I losing my mind/ or just biding my time?"

Good evening.

100 for filming success. I got EXACTLY what I wanted. They either ignored it, or made fun of it. I think we got ONE sincere compliment (which I don't think was on camera :/).


So. I've been thinking, and it would be nice if you would let me do this. Since the book I'm reading right now is like...REALLY, really challening for me (yeah, I know I sound like I'm bailing out right now), so I would like to only read it a couple of times a week, and then maybe...write a paragraph on a speech or a small one-day-read essay. Or discussion. Like the one I read today.

"Why Music MattersKarl Paulnack, Director, Music DivisionThe Boston Conservatory"

or

(Well, today only, really) I could comment on Raging Bull. even though i havem't seen the whole thing yet.

I just want to say that muteness scares me. The only way I can express myself is on a keyboard. anyway, onto the speech.


http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=90535988&blogId=491453515


"In September of 2001 I was a resident of Manhattan. On the morning of September 12, 2001 I reached a new understanding of my art and its relationship to the world. I sat down at the piano that morning at 10 AM to practice as was my daily routine; I did it by force of habit, without thinking about it. I lifted the cover on the keyboard, and opened my music, and put my hands on the keys and took my hands off the keys. And I sat there and thought, does this even matter? Isn’t this completely irrelevant? Playing the piano right now, given what happened in this city yesterday, seems silly, absurd, irreverent, pointless. Why am I here? What place has a musician in this moment in time? Who needs a piano player right now? I was completely lost.

...

At least in my neighborhood, we didn’t shoot hoops or play Scrabble. We didn’t play cards to pass the time, we didn’t watch TV, we didn’t shop, we most certainly did not go to the mall. The first organized activity that I saw in New York, on the very evening of September 11th, was singing. People sang. People sang around fire houses, people sang "We Shall Overcome." Lots of people sang “America the Beautiful.” The first organized public event that I remember was the Brahms Requiem, later that week, at Lincoln Center, with the New York Philharmonic. The first organized public expression of grief, our first communal response to that historic event, was a concert. That was the beginning of a sense that life might go on. The US Military secured the airspace, but recovery was led by the arts, and by music in particular, that very night."

Beautiful. He talks about art, and how it's necessary for survival...and with his case, music. In my opinion, music is art for the student. Someone who's learning, who's not educated and doesn't know enough to express themsleves. I'm not saying music is for dumb people or some dumb shit like that, but it gives a medium that overcomes the challenge (to some people) of language, physical expression, all that stuff. I kind of see it as a preschool playground. I don't know why. Oh my GOD..."adagio from 5th Symphony" is fucking beautiful.


THAT'S IT! Music transcends the talking barrier, the writing barrier, the physical barrier. A voice is the natural thing to express yourself. pounding on something. Letting your 'voice' be heard. It's so fucking essential for life, and everyone akes it for fucking granted. I feel so terribly bad for deaf people. Honestly. That must be fucking tragic. Ugh...people.

It's baby blocks art, but it's also so complicated to break down...even though its roots are so elemental. I need to start listening to classical, it's so emotional. And amazing. Fucking..holy crap I love art and artists. They're clever.

I feel so dumb rihgt now cause all I'm typing is jibberjabber and I'm so dumb that I can't understand the mos SIMPLE of topics. I can't even read the rest of the speech without being caught up in the first couple of things he says, like at the beginning and halfway through.


DUDE, I can't WAIT to learn and look like less of a douche. SO. Excited!!!!



AHHHHHHHHHHHH


and btw. It'd be cool if I could do that.




peace

No comments: